Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Teapots: An Invitational - Sam Chung Tempe, AZ

Sam Chung Teapot $650
porcelain, glaze, China paint (6.5" x 8.5" x 5)
Statement:
A consistent point of departure for my work has been the ceramic vessel and grappling with the balance between form and function.  I am interested in the way that pots have the unique ability to serve a multitude of roles and functions.  They can be decorative, they can create nostalgia, they can reference history or places, they can bring attention to more tactile or ergonomic concerns, and of course, they can be used.  I am also interested in the accessibility and familiarity of the pottery format with regard to my audience, and how the perception of pots can be exploited in the context of the domestic landscape.

My most recent work explores more graphic line drawings that are inspired by various forms of script - Islamic calligraphy, graffiti, and Korean cloud motifs.  While these references originate from different cultures, my attraction to this imagery is more formal.  There is something lyrical about these marks that I find curiously similar to the way I conceive, originate, and develop my forms, much of which occurs through the act of drawing.  I am intrigued by the way that drawing can be re-introduced at the end of my process to create another voice in the conversation between form and function.

Bio:
Sam Chung received his MFA from Arizona State University and his BA from St. Olaf College.  he has participated in residencies at Anderson Ranch Arts Center, The Pottery Workshop (China) and Guldagergaard (Denmark).  Sam has exhibited, lectured, and presented workshops both nationally and internationally.  His works are included in the collections of the Crocker Art Museum, Guldagergaard, and Incheon World Ceramic Center (Korea).  he taught at Northern Michigan University in Marquette for 9 1/2 years and is now an assistant professor of ceramics at Arizona State University in Tempe.

No comments:

Post a Comment