Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Teapots: An Invitational - Peter Hessemer Lake Forest, IL

Peter Hessemer Teapot NFS
slip glaze, stained overglaze and red luster, Cone 6
Statement:
I only occasionally make teapots or explicitly functional objects.  However we know a teapot is also a form like a rectangular canvas, or a building that can also be almost anything.  Ben was kind enough to let me select any teapot I wished to exhibit.  I made this one 25 years ago, 1986 and have valued it for the dynamic form and pattern.  At the time I was firing to cone 6 in an electric kiln.  The electric firing provided none of the "sudden beauty" inherent from high fire reduction.  I felt particularly responsible for creating the surface unaided by the firing.  Materials used include slip, glaze, stained overglaze, and red luster. I have a predilection for pieces that are dynamic, directly formed, and unfussy, whether they are refined or rough.

Enjoy,
Peter Hessemer



No comments:

Post a Comment