Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Cup: Mariko A. Brown - Grayslake, IL

Mariko A. Brown Aqua Tea Bowl Cone 6, porcelain
(3.75 x 3.75 inches) CUP 023 $30
Statement:
My fascination with pottery comes from my desire to make art and to produce something that is not only functional but visually appealing. Porcelain allows me stretch and shape the clay in any way I chose and offers a blank canvas for my floral imagery and luscious glazes to blend. The forms I create are tight and precise with a sense of restricted volume. I use bands around the form to constrict specific areas of each piece, while at the same time creating space for the volume and fullness to escape.  The bands create registers to frame my drawings and paintings of floral imagery. Blossoms, leaves and flourishes move around my pots in colors of green and blue.

Mariko A. Brown Aqua Tea Bowl Cone 6, porcelain
(4 x 4 inches) CUP 024 $30

The way I combine surface and form is inspired by Ming Dynasty porcelain wares and Iznik ceramics. I am drawn to the all-encompassing motifs depicted on these wares and to the compositions created by their colors and patterns, similar to those seen in Middle Eastern textiles. I also look to nature, especially the textures and contours of leaves and flowers, for inspiration. I use color combinations and floral imagery as a reminder of the beauty that nature has to offer.

Mariko A. Brown Yellow and Gold Mug Cone 6, porcelain
(4.75 x 5.5 inches) CUP 025 $40

My aim is that my pots will be used for eating, drinking and service. I believe that my art should be able to make a connection between the viewer and creator, even if only for a moment. I intend to create this relationship through the experience of beauty, design, tactility and comfort.

Mariko A. Brown Yellow and Gold Mug Cone 6, porcelain
(4.5 x 5.5 inches) CUP 026 $40

Bio:
Mariko A. Brown is a recent graduate of the Kansas City Art Institute where she received her B.F.A. in ceramics.  Mariko’s combination of surface and form are inspired by Ming Dynasty porcelain wares and Iznik ceramics, in addition to imagery found on Middle Eastern textiles. Mariko’s continued fascination with creating pottery comes from her desire to create objects that are not only functional but visually appealing. She is currently living in Grayslake, Illinois where she is teaching ceramics and maintaining an active studio practice.

Mariko A. Brown Black and White Tumbler Cone 6 porcelain
(5.5 x 4.5 inches) CUP 027 $35

No comments:

Post a Comment