Friday, March 9, 2012

The Cup: Elaine Coleman - Henderson, NV



Elaine Coleman Cup
porcelain, incised dragonfly/leaves, blue celadon
(4.25 x 3.25 inches) CUP 048 $280

Statement:
I have been incising porcelain for thirty five years and I still love doing it as much as when I started.  My work used to only involve the taking away of clay from the form but in the last five years I have been adding clay to make another layer and surface dimension.  There is something magical about this technique that seems to bring each piece to life towards the end of that process.  The final lines in my carved pieces are enhanced by the use of celadon glazes that help define the design. Moving to Nevada has influenced my drawing but I still like doing other images. I carve for myself first and have been most fortunate that serious collectors appreciate my work.


Elaine Coleman Teabowl
porcelain, incised frog/leaves, apple green celadon
(3.5 x 3.75 inches) CUP 049 $325


EDUCATION & TEACHING EXPERIENCE:
1964-1965  The Pacific Northwest College of Art, Portland, Oregon
1967-1987  Studio potter, Canby, Oregon
1989-1992  Gallery Director, The Moira James Gallery, Green Valley, Nevada
1994-2001  Coleman Clay Studio, Las Vegas, Nevada
2001-2012 Studio Potter, Henderson, Nevada


Elaine Coleman Cup
porcelain, incised bird/leaf, apple green celadon
(3.75 x 3 inches) CUP 050 $300

PUBLIC COLLECTIONS AND COMMISSIONS:
AMOCA Museum, Pomona, CA
Racine Art Museum, Racine, Wisconsin
Kaiser Hospital, Portland, OR
Sapporo Japan Sister City Collection
Museum of Contemporary Crafts Permanent Collection, Portland, OR
University of Illinois Permanent Collection
College of Wooster, Gray Museum Collection, OH
Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art, Logan, Utah
Portland Art Museum, OR


Elaine Coleman Cup
porcelain, incised birds/leaves, ice white celadon
(4.5 x 3.25 inches) CUP 051 $350 SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment