Friday, March 9, 2012

The Cup: Tom Coleman - Herderson, NV


Tom Coleman Teabowl soda fired
(4 x 3.5 inches) CUP 053 $225

Statement:
I’ve been writing artist statements for many years and for the most part I find the experience much like a self-message.  Recently when asked to repeat this task someone said just tell us what you’re about, what do you believe in?  It didn’t take me long to think about this since I talk about it in every workshop I give. 

First and most, I believe one must have a true love of the medium.  Second I believe in quality, the highest one can achieve to their ability.  Third, since I was trained in the classic Japanese tradition I think that pure form, composition and balance must be learned before one can attempt such things as sculptural or a-symmetrical pieces. 


Tom Coleman Teabowl soda fired
(4.5 x 3.5 inches) CUP 052 SOLD


Starting off as a functional potter with a degree in fine art helped me advance to the position I am in today.  Money helps pay the bills but it can’t be the sole reason one becomes involved with any art form.  My true love of clay, glazes, and the process of finishing my pieces have helped me to stay just as excited about my art as I was when I started thirty-eight years ago. 


Tom Coleman Teabowl wood-fired
(4 x 4.25 inches) CUP 054 $250 SOLD

EDUCATION & TEACHING EXPERIENCE:
1964-1968   The Museum of Art School, Fine Arts Degree, Portland, Oregon
1968-1987   Studio Potter, Canby, OR
1969-1973   Head of Ceramics, Pacific Northwest College of Art, Portland, OR
1973-1974   Portland State University, OR
1987-1990   Instructor UNLV, Las Vegas, NV
1974-1993   Studio Potter, Oregon and Nevada
1994-2000   Coleman Clay Studio & Gallery, Las Vegas, NV
2000-2012   Studio Potter, Henderson, NV

Tom Coleman Cup porcelain, ice white, dot
(5.25 x 3 inches) CUP 055 $80


PUBLIC COLLECTIONS AND COMMISSIONS:
The Smithsonian Institute, American Art Museum, Washington, DC; Long Beach Art Museum, CA; Grimmerhus Museum, Fyn, Denmark; American Museum of Ceramic Art, Pomona, CA; San Angelo Museum of Art, TX; Rio Hotel, Las Vegas, NV; Craig College Permanent Collection, CO; Kaiser Hospital, Portland, OR; Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art, Logan, Utah; Sapporo Sister City Collection, Japan; Portland Museum of Art, OR; Dwight Holland Collection, NC; Contemporary Museum of Art Collection, Portland, OR; Timber Press Publishing Company, Portland, OR; Wooster College Art Museum, OH; Earl Mallard Collection, IL; Charles A Wustum Museum of Fine Arts, Racine, WI, Household Services, Las Vegas, NV; Hallie Ford Museum, Salem, OR; University of North Dakota Permanent Collection



Tom Coleman Cup porcelain, ice white
(5.25 x 2.75 inches) CUP 056 $80


1 comment:

  1. I love clay and mostly color, which drew me to your piece. My issue is I also love making jewelry, quilting, etc., so that I don't get to your level. And I can't center anything over 4 pounds! Drats!!
    I have recently started handbuilding and I find it very therapeutic, as is carving and painting glazes. I love a lot about pottery, just not throwing, but that's the most productive way to make things to carve. :) And glaze.
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful work!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete